Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Welcome

Welcome to my blog , Changing the World, One Step at a Time! In this blog, I will offer thoughts and perspectives on Global Development and Humanitarian Aid. I will also share details about our upcoming Global Development and Humanitarian Aid Training Program at La Roche College, June 30 - July 13 2013

It has been a great experience, working on the development of this program with my wonderful colleague Jeff Ritter . International Development, Humanitarian Aid, and Social Change have been key interests of mine for as long as I can remember.  This was my chosen field many years ago when I did a Master's in International Affairs at GSPIA and again, more recently when I revisited the field to complete a Masters in International Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid from Proyecto Kalu. Also, at La Roche College we have been working with students from wartorn regions all over the world for many years now through the Pacem in Terris Institute .

Developing our new training program was a natural extension of the College's commitment to creating a better world, our own interests in social change, and of course, the urgent need in the world for people to be trained in how to offer humanitarian aid. For many young people today, the field of humanitarian aid is a great path: it offers a way to use your education - regardless of the field in which you have specialized- and a way to make a meaningful contributions. Also, for many people who are considering a career change, this is a really valuable option to consider. 

A few statistics to think about:
  •  in 2008, $6.6 billion was spent on international emergency response efforts, a 3fold increase since 2000
  • also in 2008, 210,800 humanitarian workers operated globally, with an annual increase of 6%
Here are a couple of nice videos to look at - as a first way to begin to imagine and visualize:

Keep coming back for updates and additions. I will talk about the field of Humanitarian Aid, career options within the field, professional standards and competencies, and also, my own career journey, including my recent extended stay in the Solomon Islands, South Pacific where my profile picture was taken as part of our 16 Days of Activism against Domestic Violence organizing effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment